Empa - the place where innovation starts
Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Air Pollution / Environmental Technology has an opening for a
24 month postdoc / scientist Mid-IR laser absorption spectroscopy for drone-based measurements of ship emissions
The project aims at the development and field application of a high-precision, miniaturized mid-IR spectrometer. You will leverage on our previous work for drone based methane measurement to design a multi-species, lightweight instrument that can be carried by UAVs to quantify the emissions of large ship engines off-shore and in the harbour. This involves instrumental developments in the laboratory and field campaigns, both in close collaboration with our partners Alpes Lasers, ALTUS LSA and METIS Baltic.
Job description, responsibilities and tasks
- Development of a prototype multi-species mid-IR laser spectrometer for UAV flights
- Validation, calibration, and intercomparison of the instrument
- Coordination and realization of field campaigns in the Mediterranean Sea
- Communication of the results in peer-reviewed journals and at international conferences
- PhD in physics or a related discipline
- Solid background in optics, laser spectroscopy, and electronics
- Experience in experimental research and field campaigns
- The ability to conduct independent scientific work
- Software skills (eg. Python, LabView, 3D CAD, Matlab, FRED)
- Fluency in English is required; oral expression skills in German are desirable