HEKS/EPER pursues the vision of a just world where the dignity of everyone is respected, peace reigns and the natural environment is conserved. In the framework of the 2030 Agenda, we work in the four thematic priority areas of "Climate justice", "Right to land and food", "Flight and migration", and "Inclusion". HEKS/EPER also provides humanitarian aid for people affected by natural disasters and armed conflicts. The goal is to induce change at the social, economic and political levels. HEKS/EPER helps improve the living conditions of people in Switzerland and around the world, claims their rights, and to this end, mobilizes and raises awareness on the part of society, policy-makers, business and churches.
HEKS/EPER has launched an “Integrated emergency assistance for conflict-affected people living in the hard-to reach-areas along the frontline in Ukraine” Project, focusing on the most vulnerable conflict-affected people living along the frontline communities on the hard-to-reach or rural areas in NLAs in Ukraine, mainly in Kharkiv, Donetsk, Kherson and Mykolaiv oblasts.
HEKS/EPER considers multisectoral response as the most efficient way to address the needs of the conflict-affected population. Therefore, the proposed intervention aims to ensure that conflict-affected people living in hard-to-reach areas of South and East Ukraine are able to meet their immediate Shelter/Settlement and WASH needs through integrated lifesaving assistance.
The WASH component will target rehabilitation of critical communal water/wastewater infrastructures that are not functioning or that have been damaged due to conflict activities coupled with hygiene promotion activities. The project aims at identify and assess the needs expressed by local authorities and consider intervention in hard-to-reach areas, focusing on small-scale rehabilitation of water supply system, though sanitation infrastructures can also be targeted according to the criticality of the needs.
Therefore we are looking starting soon as possible or by arragment for a proactive and experienced:
WASH Program Manager, Ukraine, 100%
Your main responsibilities:
- Providing the WASH Teams on the Project objectives and intended outcomes, main humanitarian principles, guidelines, response plan, coordination requirements and procedures according to the WASH Cluster coordination platform.
- Recruitment of WASH personnel as needed.
- Prioritiziation of WASH needs within the target areas and related WASH assessments.
- Design baseline KAP and final KAP surveys for impact
- Validate the targeting and the selection of infrastructural WASH repair needs in coordination with the WASH Team Leaders based on the WASH Cluster and the local Authorities (Vokokanal) requests.
- Oversight of the implementation of each WASH component carried out by HEKS in Ukraine to achieve the expected outcomes within the project's framework. Additionally, the WASH PM will ensure the quality validation of the work conducted by the WASH teams in the East and South regions.
- Supervise WASH market assessment of contractors and building materials
- Coordinate with Logistics for the procurement of WASH contractors and material for each project area (including validation of technical designs and BOQs)
- Driving the budget management of each WASH component carried out by HEKS in Ukraine.
- Report on water quality monitoring in compliance to the Water Quality Surveillance Plan
- Validate WASH NFIs distributions strategy and IECs campaigns
- Monitoring, reporting and Post completion monitoring
To be successful you bring:
- Higher education in Civil, Water, Sanitation or Public Health Engineering
- At least 10 years as WASH coordinator/PM in humanitarian projects worldwide
- Experience in WASH project management and WASH implementation including water/wastewater related construction works such as boreholes rehabilitation, design, implementation, BOQ and monitoring of water and wastewater systems and treatment plants
- Knowledge of hygiene promotion, communication strategy, basic needs identification and NFIs distribution
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with a wide range of people
- Ability to work under pressure and to be flexible in work tasks
- Willingness to work with the poorest members of communities irrespective of their political, religious or ethnic affiliations
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations
- Proficiency in English; knowledge of Ukrainian or Russian is a plus
- Excellent report writing skills in English
- Sympathy to HEKS/EPER values
What you can expect from us:
- An international position with a duty station in the Kyiv, Ukraine, with regular field visits
- An opportunity to make a difference in this world
- An interesting and challenging position with scope for design
- Duration 12 months (possible extension)
- Competitive salary
- Accommodation provided by HEKS/EPER
- R&R after 3 Months
- Insurance package