HEKS/EPER, Swiss Church Aid, supports projects designed to combat hunger, poverty and injustice in over 30 countries on four continents. HEKS/EPER also provides worldwide humanitarian assistance for victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts and supports the Church's diaconal work in Eastern Europe and the Middle East. In Switzerland, HEKS/EPER champions the rights and causes of refugees and socially disadvantaged people. Through its development and social policy work in the fields of climate justice, access to land and food, migration, and integration, HEKS/EPER strives for systemic change - globally and in Switzerland.
The Global Cooperation division is looking to recruit a strong candidate (F/M/D) to advise and support our projects and programmes in Latin America and Caribbean (LAC), Brazil, Honduras, Colombia, and Haiti, in the thematic focus areas of biodiversity, land and natural resources governance, seeds, inclusive market systems and sustainable food systems. Duty station is atone of our HEKS/EPER Country Offices in LAC, preferably in Brazil or Honduras.
Thematic Advisor on Biodiversity, Land and Natural Resources Governance, Seeds, Sustainable Food Systems and Inclusive Market Systems in the Region Latin America & Caribbean (LAC)
Your main responsibilities:
- Support HEKS/EPER country teams and partner organisations in the LAC region along the entire project and programme management cycle in initiatives related to biodiversity, land and natural resources governance, seeds, agroecology, inclusive market systems, and sustainable food systems.
- Further development of the building up of thematic competences in the countries in the priority topics of the LAC region, i.e.through a network of consultants that can support the teams in the countries for specific tasks.
- Organize and facilitate training, exchange, and capacity development of HEKS/EPER Country Offices and partner organisations in the LAC region with regards to the above-mentioned thematic focus areas. Capitalise and share internal and external knowledge within the organisation and beyond.
- Giving support to systemic initiatives linking biodiversity and land governance, to human rights and territorial development, market system development and eco-systembased approaches, e.g. through the active participation in the HEKS/EPER Land Governance Project.
- Contributing to the strategic and conceptual development of the relevant topics and ensuring impact, coherence, quality control, and assurance of projects and programmes in the LAC region with the HEKS/EPER Global Cooperation strategy.
- Support thematic acquisition and fundraising with focus on biodiversity, climate, food and market systems, right to land, seeds, food and related topics for and with HEKS/EPER staff and partner organisations the LAC region. This includes the identification of funding opportunities, i.e, in the field of impact investment and private sector engagement, in the field of the support of proposal development processes, and proactive engagement with donors.
- Support thematic advocacy work in the LAC region (nationally), internationally, and in Switzerland.
- Participate and represent HEKS/EPER in relevant regional and global networks and alliances and cooperate with strategic partners.
To be successful you bring:
- University degree at master’s level in a subject relevant to the thematic focus (environmental science, geography, agronomy or similar).
- Minimum 5-7 years of relevant professional experience in the LAC region, including as an advisor in the field
- Extensive knowledge on biodiversity, land governance, seeds, agroecology, inclusive market systems, and sustainable food systems.
- Proven experience of supporting planning and implementation of projects with a focus on the above-mentioned topics.
- Sound knowledge of the regional discourse and policies around biodiversity, right to land, seeds, and food, and their implication for development cooperation. Active participation in relevant national, regional, and international networks and alliances is an asset.
- Proven ability to collaborate in an intercultural context as ability to work both independently and with teams, excellent networking, and communication skills.
- Sensitivity and a strong commitment to human rights, gender, conflict sensitivity, strengthening civil society, diversity & equality.
- Language skills: Excellent written and oral Spanish and English skills are mandatory; and at least basic knowledge of Portuguese and French is requested.
- Readiness to travel to and work regularly in Brazil, Honduras, Columbia, and Haiti, including remote areas and fragile contexts.
What you can expect from us:
- An interesting and challenging position in a dynamic international context
- A dedicated and multi-disciplinary team of Thematic Advisors (most of them based in Switzerland or globally) as well as dedicated and professional colleagues in the HEKS/EPER country offices in the LAC region
- An inspiring and collegial working atmosphere
- A competitive remuneration package and modern working conditions
- A permanent local employment contract
- Opportunities for continued professional development
- Duty station is at one of our HEKS/EPER Country Offices in LAC, preferably in Brazil or Honduras, with disposition for regular working stays in other LAC countries.