HEKS/EPER, Swiss Church Aid is the aid organisation of the Protestant Churches of Switzerland and supports projects to combat hunger, poverty and injustice in 31 countries on four continents. HEKS/EPER also provides emergency relief for victims of natural disasters and armed conflict worldwide and supports the welfare and social work of the Reformed Churches in Eastern Europe and in the Middle East. In Switzerland, HEKS/EPER champions the rights and the integration of refugees and socially disadvantaged People.
The HEKS/EPER office in Addis Ababa was opened in 2002 implementing programs focusing on food security, water and sanitation, value chains and livelihoods, natural resource management, humanitarian aid and peace building. Since, HEKS/EPER has worked in several regions such as Gambela, Oromia, Amhara, SNNPR and Somali. HEKS/EPER is both working with national partners and directly implementing some of the projects. HEKS/EPER is committed to foster national partners and civil societies organizations’ capacities toward the development and wellbeing of the communities where they work.
HEKS/EPER is looking for a strong candidate (F/M) to fulfil the position of:
Country Director Ethiopia, 100%
Your main responsibilities:
- Lead the development and implementation of a relevant, substantial, and strategic international Humanitarian Aid programme in Ethiopia in line with HEKS/EPER strategy; ensure appropriate emergency preparedness and response in case of need depending on magnitude, duration and complexity of crisis.
- Ensure an excellent understanding and analysis of the national political, social, and human context considering internal and the regional dynamics; be responsible for the overall security and safety management of HEKS/EPER’s staff, operations, and assets in the country, through the regular revision of the country security plan and management.
- Ensure the Country Office attains a well-balanced project portfolio in-line with the Country Strategy and HEKS/EPER HIP, including the selection of strategic and operational partners; ensure the development of high-quality project proposals and reports from HEKS/EPER projects and partners
- Represent HEKS/EPER in Ethiopia, develop an extensive network and strong relationships with key national authorities, development and humanitarian actors, including donors, UN agencies and INGOs representatives (including ACT Alliance partners); ensure the visibility of HEKS/EPER Ethiopia programme via different communication channels according to HEKS/EPER standard and guidelines.
- Assume final responsibility for the country office’s finances and projects according to HEKS/EPER’s field financial and administration guidelines; ensure a strong and constructive collaboration with HEKS/EPER’s head office in Switzerland.
- Ensure the growth of the HEKS/EPER programme in the country through a well thought acquisition strategy based on the donor landscape; ensure development of proposals for bilateral and multilateral donors as well as foundations, taking into account HEKS/EPER’s quality standards and procedures; ensure high quality grant management and reporting, in compliance with donors’ requirements.
To be successful you bring:
- Relevant university degree at Master’s level, with at least 7 years’ work experience in a senior management position in an international NGO. Work experience in Ethiopia and profound knowledge of the regional context are considered as an asset.
- Extensive experience in program development and in managing multi-sector programs through partners and by self-implementation; in-depth knowledge of the key issues and trends in humanitarian as in development aid; strong commitment to a Human right based approach and HEKS/EPER’s values.
- Track record of successful acquisition and grant management including working with major institutional donors.
- Highly motivated, initiative, flexible, resilient, solution oriented, and sensitive to cultural values, you bring excellent analytical, conceptual and writing skills, as well as strong management and leadership skills.
- Available for extended local, national and international travels.
What you can expect from us:
- An interesting and challenging position in a dynamic international context.
- A competitive salary package.
- Duty station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- An one-year contract renewable.
- Starting date: as soon as possible, or upon agreement.