HEKS/EPER, Swiss Church Aid is the aid organisation of the Protestant Churches of Switzerland and supports projects to combat hunger, poverty and injustice in 31 countries on four continents. HEKS/EPER also provides emergency relief for victims of natural disasters and armed conflict worldwide and supports the welfare and social work of the Reformed Churches in Eastern Europe and in the Middle East. In Switzerland, HEKS/EPER champions the rights and the integration of refugees and socially disadvantaged People. HEKS/EPER is a member of the ACT Alliance.
Our national office in Syria cooperates with NGO active in the field of development of rural com-munities and conflict transformation. Our support is targeted at social and ethnic minorities, for whom life is particularly difficult in this country. Individual projects under the country programme are geared toward value chain development and improving income on the one hand and promot-ing equality and justice for marginalized minorities on the other. Education and skills development amongst the disadvantaged are central areas of support. At the same time, we also provide emer-gency relief and aid with reconstruction after natural disasters.
HEKS/EPER is looking for a strong candidate (M/F) to fulfil the position of:
Country Director Syria, 100%
- Lead the development and implementation of a relevant, substantial, and strategic international Humanitarian Aid programme in Syria in line with HEKS/EPER strategy.
- Ensure an excellent understanding of the political, social and humanitarian context considering internal and regional dynamics.
- Ensure high quality project proposals and reports from local partners and self-implemented projects and support partners in their institutional and capacity development.
- Assume final responsibility for the finances of the country office and the projects according to HEKS/EPER’s field financial and administration guidelines.
- Ensure the growth of the HEKS/EPER programme through acquisition and develop and implement a national acquisition strategy based on the donor landscape.
- Manage and coordinate HEKS/EPER country Office in Damascus.
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of local security plans and the security management.
- Represent HEKS/EPER in Syria and develop an extensive network and strong relationships with key national authorities and humanitarian actors, including donors, UN agencies and INGOs representatives (including ACT Alliance partners).
- Ensure the visibility of HEKS/EPER via different communication channels according to HEKS/EPER guidelines.
- Ensure a strong and constructive collaboration with HEKS/EPER’s head office in Switzerland, as well as a good coordination with HEKS/EPER Humanitarian aid programmes in the Middle East.
- You bring a relevant university degree at Master’s level, with at least 5 years’ work experience in a senior management position in an international NGO with international exposure. Work experience in Syria is considered as an asset.
- Strong experience in access-hindered environments, with experience in supporting emergency response programming, access negotiation and security management, and thus extensive experience in program development and in managing multi-sector programs through partners and by self-implementation.
- Track record of successful acquisition and grant management including working with major institutional donors.
- Highly motivated, initiative, flexible, resilient, solution oriented, and sensitive to cultural values.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual and writing skills.
- Strong management and leadership skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the key issues and trends in humanitarian and development aid and strong knowledge in HEKS/EPER’s key intervention areas.
- An interesting and challenging position in a dynamic international context.
- Duty station Damascus, Syria.
- A competitive salary package.
- A one-year contract renewable.
- Starting date: beginning of June 2021 or upon agreement.