HEKS/EPER, Swiss Church Aid, is the aid organisation of the Protestant Churches of Switzerland and supports projects to combat hunger, poverty and injustice in 30 countries on four continents. HEKS/EPER also provides emergency relief for victims of natural disasters and armed conflict worldwide and supports the welfare and diaconal work of the Reformed Churches in Eastern Europe. In Switzerland, HEKS/EPER champions the rights and the integration of refugees and socially disadvantaged people. HEKS/EPER is a member of the ACT Alliance.
HEKS/EPER is based in Kampala, Uganda, with a sub office in Yumbe and manages a country pro-gram with a team of national and regional expatriates. HEKS/EPER works through local partner organisations and self-implemented projects in refugee settlements in Uganda and IDPs in South Sudan. Our main sectors of intervention are WASH, livelihood, peace and conflict transformation with a strong human rights-based approach.
For our country program in Uganda and South Sudan, HEKS/EPER is looking for a strong candidate (M/F, national/expatriate) to fulfil the role of:
Uganda and South Sudan Country Director, 100%
- Lead the development and implementation of a relevant, substantial, and strategic interna-tional cooperation programme in Uganda and South Sudan in line with HEKS/EPER strategy.
- Ensure an excellent understanding of the political, social and humanitarian context consider-ing internal and regional dynamics.
- Ensure high quality project proposals and reports from local partners and self-implemented projects and support partners in their institutional and capacity development.
- Assume final responsibility for the finances of the country office and the projects according to HEKS/EPER’s field financial and administration guidelines.
- Ensure the growth of the HEKS/EPER programme through acquisition and develop and im-plement a national acquisition strategy based on the donor landscape.
- Manage and coordinate HEKS/EPER country Office in Kampala as well as its suboffice in Yumbe and the HEKS/EPER presence in South Sudan.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of local security plans and the security management.
- Represent HEKS/EPER in Uganda and in South Sudan and develop an extensive network and strong relationships with key national authorities and humanitarian actors, including donors, UN agencies and INGOs representatives.
- Ensure the visibility of HEKS/EPER via different communication channels according to HEKS/EPER guidelines.
- Ensure a strong and constructive collaboration with HEKS/EPER’s head office in Switzerland.
- At least 5 years’ work experience in a senior management position in an international NGO with international exposure. Work experience in Uganda and South Sudan is considered as an asset.
- Strong experience in insecure and access-hindered environments, with experience in sup-porting emergency response programming, access negotiation and security management.
- Extensive experience in program development and in managing multi-sector programs through partners and by self-implementation.
- Track record of successful acquisition and grant management including working with major institutional donors.
- Highly motivated, initiative, flexible, resilient, solution oriented, and sensitive to cultural val-ues.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual and writing skills.
- Strong management and leadership skills.
- Relevant university degree at Master’s level or other relevant experience.
- In-depth knowledge of the key issues and trends in humanitarian and development aid and strong knowledge in HEKS/EPER’s key intervention areas.
- An interesting and challenging position in a dynamic international context
- Duty station Kampala, Uganda
- A competitive salary package
- A one-year contract renewable
- Starting date: mid June 2021 or upon agreement