The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
For a joint PSI/ETHZ project aimed at the development of an opensource platform for simulations and measurements related to space nuclear propulsion, we are looking for
We are offering the following 4 PhD topics
- Development of steady-state and transient neutronic solvers for reactor core simulations
- Development of multi-physics solvers for coupled core and propulsion system analysis
- Experimental set-up and investigations of multi-phase flow behaviour of Sodium cooled heat pipes
- Development of advanced heat pipe code for transient flow simulations
- Master of science in nuclear/mechanical/aeronautical engineering, physics or other natural sciences
- Experience and/or high interest in space propulsion technology and applications
- Familiarity with experimental work and/or code development
- Data processing and programming skills (C/C++) beneficial
- Fluent in spoken English, good writing skills in English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Hakim Ferroukhi, phone +41 56 310 40 62.
Please submit your application online by 31 March 2024 (including addresses of referees) and with a specification of your preferred topic for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 4100-00).
As this is a joint project between PSI and ETHZ, please be informed that your application will be shared with ETHZ members of the selection committee as well as the ETHZ human resources.
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Serdal Varol, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland