The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
For the SwissFEL Beam Dynamics Group we are looking for a
- You will experimentally characterize the degradation of the longitudinal beam quality along the facility, and will build up a physics model including the most relevant effects such as the microbunching instability and intra-beam scattering
- You will optimize the machine configuration and layout to better preserve the electron beam brightness for an improved performance of SwissFEL, the work will combine experimental and numerical studies
- You will publish your results in scientific journals and reports
- For one semester, you will be part of the teaching team of the accelerator physics course at EPFL
- You have a Master’s degree in physics
- Knowledge in accelerator, plasma or FEL physics is beneficial but not required
- You have a very good command of written and spoken English
- You will enroll in the doctoral school of physics, EDPY at EPFL / Lausanne
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Sven Reiche, phone +41 56 310 51 19.
Please submit your application online (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 8122-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Anna Fechtig, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland