The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
The Electron Beam Instrumentation Group develops and deploys instruments that measure the properties of electron beams in accelerators. We also perform research on novel instrumentation and accelerator concepts and advanced manufacturing. We work on large-scale facilities at PSI, and we are part of international collaborations. In the framework of the Strategic Focus Area Advanced Manufacturing we are looking for a
- Plan and perform experiments for operando diffraction experiments at synchrotrons and X-ray free electron lasers
- Design and building of the experimental apparatus to position and align the sample, acquire the data
- Automation of measurements for repeated measurements in radiation environments
- Analysis of the data
- Publication of results in peer-reviewed journals
- PhD degree in physics or related fields
- Passionate about leading-edge technology and keen to contribute to pioneering research projects
- Strong background in instrumentation, particularly with a focus on ultrafast lasers and/or X-ray science, and experiences in writing computer code for data acquisition and analysis
- Proficient in laboratory automation, with hands-on experience in designing and managing automated systems
- Self-motivated and proactive in identifying and addressing challenges
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Rasmus Ischebeck, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +41 56 310 55 35.
Please submit your application online (including list of publications and references) index No. 8123-00.
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Anna Fechtig, Villigen PSI, Switzerland