The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
The structural materials and integrity group investigates the influence of material ageing phenomena on the lifetime and structural integrity of (nuclear) power plant components. In order to strengthening our corrosion activities we are looking for a
- Experimental evaluation of the effect of oxygen and mechanical transients on the stress corrosion cracking (SCC) crack initiation and growth behaviour of cold-worked, weld HAZ and additively manufactured stainless steels (SS) in PWR environment
- Experimental evaluation of (temporary) thermo-mechanical loading and static load hold periods on environmental-assisted fatigue (EAF) in SS as well as of ripple loading at high load ratio on SCC in highly cold-worked SS in LWR environments
- Metallo- & fractographic post-test evaluations on the SCC initiation and growth mechanism
- Literature survey on SCC of SS in PWR and on additive manufactured LWR materials
- Supervision of master or semester theses and internships
- Publication of results in reports, scientific journals and at international conferences
You hold a PhD degree in Materials Science or Metallurgy (or closely related) and have a solid background in corrosion / electrochemistry, metallurgy and fracture mechanics. Additionally, you have practical experience in material characterization by light and electron microscopy and ideally in experiments under high-temperature water conditions. Very good communication skills in English are also required. A German working knowledge would be an asset.
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Hans-Peter Seifert, phone +41 56 310 44 02, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application online by 31 March 2024 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 4603-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Serdal Varol, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland