The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
For our research on advanced analysis of integration of variable renewable energy technology in Switzerland we are looking for a
- Energy System Model based scenario analysis of the Swiss energy system with particular focus on the behavioural effects and social practices impacting the energy transition
- Development of novel methodologies for integrating behavioural and social dynamics of consumers regarding the use of energy and technology adoption in a modelling framework that combines agent-based modelling and energy systems modelling for Switzerland
- Scientific supervision of internships and Master thesis students
- Coordinate model developments tasks with project partners
- Dissemination and publication of the PhD research in academic journals and conferences
- Master degree in energy / environmental engineering or energy economics
- Very good skills in quantitative methods, mathematical programming (preferable with GAMS) and statistical analysis
- Good understanding of techno-economic characteristics of energy technologies, Swiss and European energy and climate change mitigation policies
- Excellent writing, organisation and communication skills
- Good publication track record
- Excellent English language skills are essential. Knowledge of German language is an additional benefit
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
The employment contract will initially be limited to 1 year.
For further information, please contact Dr Tom Kober, phone +41 56 310 26 31.
Please submit your application online by 25 June 2023 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 4502-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Serdal Varol, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland