The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people. For the Laboratory for Catalysis and Sustainable Chemistry in the Energy & Environment Division, we are looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow. The laboratory aims at developing and understanding the functioning of heterogeneous catalysts that are relevant to energy conversion and the environment. Synthesis of defined structures and characterization using high-end methods are two of the main research pillars. The laboratory is a frequent user of synchrotron radiation, contributing to the toolbox for in situ and operando characterization. The Fellow will work on a project aimed at developing in situ X-ray diffraction to characterize heterogeneous catalysts, building on our recent developments in anomalous diffraction. Catalysts of interest are zeolites and typical commercial catalysts for methanol synthesis from carbon dioxide.
For our project on in situ characterization of catalysts we are looking for a
- Develop in situ (anomalous) X-ray diffraction on zeolites and copper / zinc oxide alumina catalysts
- Maintain a research project in the field of catalytic processes of energy conversion and chemicals synthesis
- Co-supervise PhD Students
- Contribute to other projects with knowledge on diffraction methods
- Proficient in diffraction methods
- Knowledge and experience in heterogeneous catalysis are favorable
- Interested in understanding novel catalysts and catalytic processes related to achieving sustainability
- PhD degree in chemistry, materials science or related field
- Excellent knowledge of English is required and knowledge of German is beneficial
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Prof Dr Jeroen van Bokhoven, phone +41 56 310 50 46.
Please submit your application online by 15 June 2023 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 5702-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland