The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
As a postdoctoral fellow on our 3D X-ray ptychography project you will help us advance and develop the technique towards nanoscale 3D imaging of representative volumes. In particular for its application to biological specimens. The project leans towards method and algorithm development within a stimulating collaboration that includes experts in image processing, instrumentation, X-ray imaging and neuroscience. The position is hosted at the Computational X-ray Imaging group CXI and will involve working closely with colleagues at the cSAXS beamline of the Swiss Light Source.
Within this collaboration, you will develop new measurement strategies and reconstruction approaches, and test them via detailed numerical simulations and dedicated synchrotron experiments. You will reconstruct and analyze the obtained data to find and overcome issues currently limiting the maximum volume that we can image, along with those limiting the sharpest resolution that we can obtain.
You will present the results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and at international conferences. Additionally you will support and mentor PhD and Master Students of the group and contribute to the user program of cSAXS, either with experimental support or by collaborating in developing specialized code for data analysis.
- PhD degree in physics or similar natural science discipline, signal/image processing or engineering
- You want to support our team with your knowledge in physics, signal/image processing, or a related field and are interested in 3D X-ray ptychography
- You have the drive for independent research and at the same time enjoy working within a synergistic collaboration
- The idea of measuring, reconstructing and making sense of complex datasets motivates you
- You enjoy coding, ideally in Matlab and Python
- You feel comfortable making decisions in your work while connecting and cooperating in an interdisciplinary team environment
- It is beneficial if you have experience with analysis of large datasets, ptychography and/or tomography
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
Please submit your application online by 15 July 2023 (including list of publications, reference letters and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 6115-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Alina Rao, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland