The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
For the Membranes and Electrochemical Cells group we are looking for a
- Develop protocols to quantify alkaline and radical induced degradation of anion exchange membranes in fuel cells
- Study the effect of membrane chemistry on radical induced chemical aging
- Collaborate with other project team members (Postdoctoral Fellow, PhD Student) and international partners
- Develop a new generation of anion exchange membranes with antioxidant functionality and implement them in fuel cells
- Publishing in international leading scientific journals
- Supporting teaching at the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule ETH Zürich
- University degree in Engineering or Materials Science
- Background in Physical Chemistry and Electrochemistry
- Creative, hands-on personality
- Well-developed communication skills & good command of the English language (spoken & written)
- Open to temporary research placement in partner laboratory (Europe)
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact PD Dr Lorenz Gubler, phone +41 56 310 26 73
Please submit your application online by 16 June 2023 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 5421-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland