The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
For material aging & structural integrity group at the Laboratory of nuclear materials we are looking for a
The main goal in PROACTIV II is the evaluation of the lifetime and structural integrity of the primary cooling circuit of nuclear systems, as they exist in the Swiss context. In Subproject-II, we are currently performing thermal shock experiments on the selected cylindrical mock-ups. In the following two years, samples will be used to observe the crack initiation, propagation and arrest behavior. Validation of the XFEM calculations for crack propagation and arrest will be performed. Improvements of the experimental set-up as well as in-situ monitoring will be done to obtain accurate information of the crack propagation process. It is expected that the understanding of the initiationpropagation- arrest of defects in embrittled RPV steel will be enhanced.
- Carry out experiments in the thermo-shock facility
- Prepare samples
- Collect experimental data and include data in the database
- Investigate samples with optical microscope and SEM
- Document the experiments and FE simulations in Abaqus
- Master student in the field of mechanical engineering, material science or similar (Master should not have been completed)
- Good understanding of fracture mechanics and material damage. Basic knowledge on simulation with FEM
- Proficiency in English is a prerequisite
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration.
The contract will be limited to 3 months.
For further information, please contact Diego Fernando Mora Mendez, phone +41 56 310 43 64.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Trainee (index no. 4603-T1).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Ladina Goerre, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland