The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
For the Nuclear Fuels group of the Laboratory for Nuclear Materials we are looking for a
Hydrogen-metal compounds, so-called hydrides, can form in the zirconium-based cladding tubes of nuclear fuel rods. They may affect the rods’ mechanical properties that is important for nuclear safety. The project aims to investigate the hydrides characteristics as a function of hydrogen concentration and thermomechanical influence, using combination of electron microscopy and large-scale facility techniques such as high-resolution neutron radiography HR-NI and synchrotron X-ray diffraction SXRD.
Your tasks will be:
- Hydrogen loading of test samples and thermomechanical testing
- Support the experiments at large-scale facilities
- Processing/analyses of the data produced at beamlines
- Understanding the hydrides characteristics
- Reporting and results presentation
- Studies in materials science, nuclear engineering, physics or a similar field
- You hold a Bachelor, but have not yet completed your Master
- Interest in nuclear materials, starting knowledge in diffusion and thermomechanical behavior of materials
- Experience in metallography and microstructure analysis are advantageous
- Proficiency in English, knowledge of German is a plus
- You are communicative and enjoy working in a multi-disciplinary international team
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration.
The contract will be limited to three months.
For further information, please contact Okan Yetik, phone +41 56 310 45 34 or Dr Liliana Duarte, phone +41 56 310 21 16.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Trainee (index no. 4602-T1).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Patrizia Meister ,5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland