The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
For the system behavior group we are looking for a
We are looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow to develop novel table-top THz sources with very narrow-bandwidths designed for the coherent control of donor Rydberg states in semiconductors. The fellowship project will explore two distinct routes for THz generation: nonlinear frequency mixing in organic crystals and quantum cascade lasers. You will work in close collaboration with different groups in the ETH domain, namely the Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI) and ETH Zürich. The position is based at PSI.
- Participate in the design of, and then construct, a novel nonlinear optics laser device to produce narrowband picosecond THz pulses
- Coordinate the development of novel pulsed THz quantum-cascade lasers and integrate them in experimental setups
- Commission a low-temperature measurement system based on these sources and conduct semiconductor quantum optics research with this system
- Publish scientific results and present them at conferences and workshops
- PhD degree in physical sciences, electrical engineering, or related fields
- Experience in operating and developing laser systems and nonlinear optical devices
- Experience with cryogenics and/or microwave and THz optics is an advantage
- Good command of English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 18 months. Extension is possible according to project milestones.
For further information, please contact Dr Biaolong Liu (email@example.com) or Dr Guy Matmon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please submit your application online by 24 February 2023 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 6612-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Alina Rao, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland