The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
The PSI Research Division NUM
(“Research with Neutrons and Muons”) is organized in five research laboratories employing 250 scientists, engineers, technicians, students and administrative staff. The division operates the three large-scale user facilities CHRISP, SINQ and SμS, which enable both in-house scientists as well as international scientific teams to exploit neutron and muon probes to carry out research spanning from particle physics, to soft and condensed matter science, to chemistry, to materials science and engineering all the way to cultural heritage.
To strengthen the NUM leadership team, we are looking for a
You will support the Division Head in the coordination of projects, administrative tasks, budget, safety and communication matters across the division. You will serve as a point of contact both internally towards the laboratories as well as externally to other PSI divisions, the PSI Directorate as well as external institutions.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Authoring and editing strategy documents with input from the division leadership both for internal and external use
- Coordinating and organizing the NUM project portofolio, as well as serving as central point of contact for project management
- Supporting division members in financial and scientific reporting required for large collaborative grants
- Preparing and controlling the long-term NUM budget forecast in collaboration with the central finance Department of PSI and the division head
- Developing and improving division-internal administrative processes and their interfaces with regard to external stakeholders
- Coordinating NUM scientific outreach efforts in collaboration with the central communication department of PSI
- You hold a university degree in one of the natural sciences
- You are an excellent communicator (in German and English)
- You enjoy working in a dynamic environment that requires coordination with multiple stakeholders
- You are flexible and pragmatic, yet you consistently achieve strategic objectives
- You have experience with finance and budgetary responsibilities for large projects
- Work experiences related to the organization of state-of-the-art research facilities and/or interfacing with international scientific user communities would be an advantage
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Alex Amato, phone +41 56 310 32 32 or Prof. Dr Marc Janoschek, phone +41 56 310 49 87.
Please submit your application online by 31 January 2023 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Division Coordinator (index no. 3000-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland