The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
PSI has been an important research institution for experimental reactor physics since the 1960s. For the research and teaching reactor CROCUS, jointly operated by École Polytechnique Fédérale (EPFL) and PSI, we are looking for a
Scientist / Experimental Reactor Physicist
Position based at EPFL, Lausanne
- Support the head of the CROCUS nuclear installation in CROCUS-related licensing, maintenance and oversight activities
- Interaction with the Swiss Nuclear regulator ENSI and the Safeguards department of the Swiss Federal Office of Energy including responsibilities for the associated documentation
- Support teaching activities in the Joint Swiss Nuclear Engineering Master of Science program of EPFL, ETH Zürich and PSI
- Planning, realisation and supervision of reactor physics experiments at CROCUS with development of associated instrumentation techniques
- Participation to the preparation and acquisition of research, service and academic projects together with the supervision of academic projects and students
- Fostering the interactions between the experimental reactor physics activities at CROCUS and the Laboratory of Reactor Physics and Thermalhydraulics (LRT) at PSI, main work place is at EPFL with occasional visits to secondary work place at PSI
You have a PhD degree in reactor physics. Experience in the field of experimental reactor physics or with the operation of a nuclear facility would be beneficial. Knowledge in applied radiation protection is a plus. Strong communication skills and enjoying working in an interdisciplinary environment and team are essential requirements. You are fluent in spoken and written English and additionally in German or French.
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr Andreas Pautz, e-mail: email@example.com.
Please submit your application online by 30 November 2022 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a scientist (index no. 4000-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Adina Keller, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland