The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of future technologies, energy and climate, health innovation and fundamentals of nature. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2200 people.
For the Laboratory for Catalysis and Sustainable Chemistry in the Energy and Environment Division, we are looking for a tenure track scientist at the group leader level. The laboratory aims at developing and understanding the functioning of heterogeneous catalysts that are relevant to energy conversion and the environment. Synthesis of defined structures and characterization using high-end methods are two of the main research pillars. The laboratory is a frequent user of synchrotron radiation, contributing to the toolbox for in situ and operando characterization. A new group will be established that focuses on the determination of the structure and reactivity of the active sites in a heterogeneous catalyst. The candidate is expected to lead and develop the scientific program of the group.
For the development of expert knowledge in the field of "structure and reactivity of active sites in heterogeneous catalysis" we are looking for a
Group Leader (Tenure Track)
Catalysts and catalytic processes in energy conversion and chemicals synthesis
- Develop and maintain a research program in the field of catalytic processes of energy conversion and chemicals synthesis
- Obtain research funding and produce scientific output
- Supervise PhD and Postdoctoral Fellow projects
- Contribute to existing (inter)national collaborative networks and maintain national and international collaborations with partner research institutes
- Proficient in heterogeneous catalysis
- Highly experienced in development and application of heterogeneous catalysts
- Knowledge in synthesis, kinetics and characterization is favorable
- Interested in developing and understanding novel catalysts and catalytic processes related to achieving sustainability
- PhD degree in chemistry, materials science or related field
- Leadership, personnel and laboratory management skills, innovative thinking and a strong motivation to launch collaborative projects are needed
- Excellent knowledge of English is required and knowledge of German is beneficial
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr Jeroen van Bokhoven, phone +41 56 310 50 46 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application online by 15 June 2023 (including list of publications, a research plan and addresses of referees) for the position as a Group Leader (Tenure Track) (index no. 5700-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, René Gröbli, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland