The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, postgraduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the UCN Physics group we are looking for a
Our new experiment to search for a neutron electric dipole moment - n2EDM – will be searching for a signal of Beyond-Standard-Model physics with unprecedented sensitivity.
You will work on all aspects of the experiment and take the lead in various tasks, which include hardware design and setup, integration of components, DAQ system, analysis development, operation and performing and coordinating analyses.
As a member of the UCN Physics group you will also take over responsibilities in UCN source investigations and developments, and UCN user support:
- You will apply your scientific experience to develop new approaches and initiate new projects in UCN physics
- You will be responsible for supervision of students and early career scientists on all levels
- You will be responsible for publication of results, for funding applications and documentation
We seek a talented and ambitious person who is highly motivated to work on this competitive project in fundamental physics in a well-established research team, and within an international collaboration.
Your qualifications include:
- PhD degree in physics
- Experience in experimental fundamental (neutron, UCN) physics and/or experimental nuclear and/or particle physics
- Flexible, multitasking and independent work attitude and ability to work in an international and diverse team
- Demonstrated experience in experimental work and hardware setup, e.g. vacuum components, particle detectors, magnetic fields, control and measurement
- Programming skills are required, and experience in data acquisition are considered a plus
- Excellent level of English as working language in spoken and written form
- Knowledge of German or willingness to quickly learn German is an advantage
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Bernhard Lauss, e-mail email@example.com or phone +41 56 310 46 47.
Please submit your application online by 31 August 2022 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Scientist (Tenure Track) (index no. 3204-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland