The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The Future Circular Collider Study (FCC) explores different designs of circular colliders for the post-LHC era. Reaching higher energies and unprecedented luminosities would allow us to explore the fundamental laws of nature and probe yet unexplained observations. PSI, as a member of CHART (Swiss Accelerator Research and Technology Center), is a partner in this effort, focusing its R&D, among others, on superconducting magnet technology. For our young research group for the development of Low- and High Temperature Superconductors (LTS and HTS) we are looking for a
- Coil winding and instrumentation with voltage taps, strain gauges, temperature sensors
- Process development and optimization for winding, impregnation, and testing procedures; implementation of automated controls
- Vacuum pressure impregnation of superconducting coils with resins and waxes
- Manufacturing of test setups (e.g. thermal conductance measurements in cryogenic conditions, hall-probe arrays) and construction tooling
- Preparation and execution of magnetic measurements with moving wires on precision stages; construction of a warm-bore insert for a testing cryostat
- You have successfully passed vocational training in a mechanical discipline and completed further training at a higher technical school
- You have hands-on experience constructing electrical machinery and are motivated to learn magnetic measurement techniques and perform magnetic field measurements
- You look forward to supporting English- and German-speaking project stakeholders in a collaborative, interdisciplinary environment
- You take the initiative in your area of responsibility and take pride in a job well done
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a fixed-term position. The employment contract will be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Bernhard Auchmann, phone +41 56 310 30 26 or Dr Stéphane Sanfilippo, phone +41 56 310 41 11.
Please submit your application online by 21 August 2022 (index no. 8433-03).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources, Anna Fechtig 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland