The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, postgraduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The Radiation Transport and Multiphysics group is responsible, among other tasks, for activity calculations for the High Intensity Proton Accelerator (HIPA). One of our projects is connected to the estimation of the amount of activated concrete after the final decommissioning of the HIPA facility. For this project we are looking for an/a
- Carry out experiments and numerical simulations to determine the hydrogen content in concrete using samples from the HIPA facility and concrete producers
- Perform neutron transmission measurements of concrete samples at the Swiss Spallation Neutron Source SINQ
- Carry out relevant Monte Carlo and activity simulations for comparison with measurements
- Extend the existing HIPA models for activity calculations to incorporate new results
- PhD Degree in nuclear or particle physics, nuclear engineering or material science
- Experience with radiation measurements at particle accelerators
- Experience in numerical simulation of radiation transport and induced activity in matter
- You enjoy working in a diverse team, are able to work independently and communicate efficiently in English, additional German language skills are beneficial
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a fixed-term position. The employment contract will be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Jochem Snuverink, phone +41 56 310 54 34 or Dr Vadim Talanov, phone +41 56 310 33 56.
Please submit your application online by 14 August 2022 (index no. 8142-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Anna Fechtig, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland