The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, postgraduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The Furka experimental station is dedicated to ultrafast dynamics studies on condensed matter and quantum materials at the SwissFEL Athos soft X-ray beamline. For the “Ultrafast Spectroscopy of Condensed Matter” group in the Laboratory for Advanced Spectroscopy and X-ray Sources we are looking for a
- Develop and extend the scientific program for the ultrafast dynamics of condensed matter and quantum materials with emphasis on implementation and execution of original research in time-resolved phenomena
- Contribute to the design, construction, commissioning, future upgrade and operation of the experimental station
- Develop and implement new measurement concepts and devices for FELs
- User support for experiments at SwissFEL
- PhD degree in experimental physics with expertise in correlated and quantum materials
- Sound knowledge in ultrafast X-ray techniques such as resonant elastic or inelastic X-ray spectroscopy, scattering, X-ray absorption spectroscopy and/or other related techniques
- Excellent communication skills in English and strong organizational skills for being proactive across multiple research initiatives in an interdisciplinary environment
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Elia Razzoli, phone +41 56 310 26 07.
Please submit your application online by 15 August 2022 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Scientist (Tenure Track) (index no. 6515-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Elke Baumann, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland