The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The section Control Systems provides and maintains core software tools, APIs and building blocks to build reliable and robust control systems for the different large research facilities at PSI. The control system is based on the open platform toolkit EPICS to meet the challenges in data acquisition and device control in modern accelerator facilities. For the group responsible for integration and support for Photon Science division (experimental beamlines) we are looking for a
- Integration of hardware and software components of existing Swiss Light Source (SLS) beamlines (and upcoming beamline upgrades as part of the SLS 2.0 project) into the EPICS control system including maintenance, with emphasis on motion systems
- Take part in development of customised control system applications used by beamline staff
- Providing 1st level control system user support
- Planning and coordination of control system integration tasks with different stakeholders
- Degree in software engineering, computer science, natural sciences or equivalent combined with several years of experience with control systems (EPICS of advantage)
- You have gained experience with motion control aspects
- You possess sound technical, diagnostic and troubleshooting skills and have gained experiences in software development (e.g. python, C, bash)
- You enjoy working in a diverse environment and your excellent communication and collaboration skills make it easy for you to deal with different stakeholders (German is a plus)
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr. Tine Celcer, phone +41 56 310 46 29.
Please submit your application online by 15 August 2022 for the position as a Control System Specialist (index no. 8215-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Melanie Rapisarda-Bellwald, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland