The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
Our backend data acquisition systems collect multiple TBs of data per day. This data enables scientists to improve our accelerators and analyze the experiments they perform at our facilities. One of the technical challenges is to acquire, safely store and analyze on-the-fly incoming data that can easily exceed multiple GB/s. For our group, Controls Infrastructure and Services, that operates critical infrastructure services we are looking for a
- Operate, scale, enhance and improve the current backend data acquisition systems (archivers) of the PSI accelerators together with our Software Engineering team
- Streamlining, shaping and improving other core Controls infrastructure services to facilitate the smooth operation of the control systems
- Collaborate with people outside of your field of experience and work together towards efficient solutions in an interdisciplinary, international research environment
- Manage an up-to-date documentation of the data acquisition system
- Degree in software engineering, computer science or equivalent practicalexperience combined with knowledge in operating productive softwaresystems
- Experience with Unix/Linux and distributed systems
- Knowledge in software development in Python and/or Java
- Sound network diagnostic and troubleshooting skills
- You enjoy working in a diverse environment and your excellent communication and collaboration skills make it easy for you to deal withdifferent stakeholders (German is a plus)
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Simon Ebner, phone +41 56 310 55 15.
Please submit your application online by 30 September 2022 for the position as a Site Reliability Engineer (index no. 8213-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Melanie Rapisarda-Bellwald, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland