The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
At the free-electron laser SwissFEL, the Timing and Synchronization group operates and develops a high-precision electro-optical synchronization system that enables high-precision time-resolved experiments. We provide RF signals, synchronize mode-locked short pulse lasers and measure the arrival-time of electron bunches – all with an accuracy of only a few femtoseconds. To strengthen our small interdisciplinary team we are looking for an
- You will take responsibility in the operation, maintenance and documentation of the electro-optical synchronization system
- You contribute to the improvement and further development of the synchronization system, especially with regard to low-noise and low-drift RF circuits as well as high-precision analog electronics and analog or digital control loops
- You will contribute your practical experience and develop a system overview for the coordination of cross-group development projects, partly in project-leading responsibility
- You work with both electrical and laser signals and use the advantages of both to achieve the highest time resolution and stability
- Degree in RF engineering or comparable qualification, preferably also with a doctorate
- In-depth expertise in high-precision RF and low-noise analog circuits, control systems and digital signal processing
- Commitment to the development of reliable and low-maintenance solutions for 24/7 operation
- As a proactive, open personality you find it easy to deal with different contacts (in German and English), and you feel comfortable in a heterogeneous environment
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Cezary Sydlo, phone +41 56 310 20 65.
Please submit your application online for the position as a RF Engineer (index no. 8232-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Melanie Rapisarda-Bellwald, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland