The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For our low dose electron ptychography project at the Electron Microscopy Facility (EMF) we are looking for a
You contribute to implementing optimal data acquisition and processing procedures to achieve high-resolution ptychographic image reconstruction for the characterisation of metal oxide electrocatalysts and biological macromolecules. Within a collaboration with colleagues at the Swiss Light Source SLS, you will analyse the obtained data and help to fine tune the processing algorithms along with data acquisition settings to obtain best results from materials science and biological samples. You will be presenting the work at international conferences and in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- University degree with PhD level in physics, chemistry, materials science, or natural sciences
- Hands-on experience in electron microscopy (TEM and STEM)
- Strong communication and collaboration skills in an international environment
- Experience in 4D STEM methods is a strong plus • Experience in programming and/or image processing
- Fluent communication in English
This job is for you if:
- You are interested in electron ptychography and motivated by developing new methods in electron microscopy
- You enjoy both, experimental electron microscopy and data analysis, and are familiar with real and reciprocal space
- You feel comfortable in an interdisciplinary team
- It is beneficial if you have experience with analysis of large datasets and image processing algorithms used in low dose electron microscopy
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Emiliya Poghosyan, phone +41 56 310 27 95 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that any applications sent directly to the email address will be not considered.
Please submit your application online by 28 February 2022 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 2414-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Silja Giacomini-Diebold, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland