The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Sample Environment Group of the Laboratory for Neutron and Muon Instrumentation LIN we are looking for a
- Support pressure and mechanical load related experiments in the SINQ and SµS user programs
- Drive new research activities utilizing high pressure equipment
- Manage and develop new collaborations on high-pressure science across PSI and with external international partners
- Take an active role in the development of pressure equipment
- PhD degree in natural sciences / engineering with a strong background in solid state physics
- Experience in operating pressure cells and using them for research
- Experience in mechanical design CAD and structural simulations FEA
- Experience in low temperature techniques and cryogenics
- Excellent communication skills (incl. fluent in English, willingness to learn German) and open-minded for new ideas
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Marek Bartkowiak, phone +41 56 310 47 31.
Please submit your application online by 11 February 2022 (including list of publications and addresses of referees for the position as a Scientist (Tenure Track) (index no. 3601-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human, Resources Management, Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland