The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Molecular Cluster and Particle Processes Group we are looking for a
We have a great opportunity for a postdoc working on regional modelling and aerosol health effects. The project combines regional modelling, data science and health data. It will be a 2 years postdoc with a possibility for extension by another 2 years. You will be placed at PSI, but will be able to collaborate with the Swiss data science center SDSC at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH and with the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute TPH, the largest institute for health and epidemiology in Switzerland. The idea of the project is to develop a data science based chemical transport model to predict the aerosol sources that cause the most damage to human health. Tasks:
- Gathering ambient observations for model validation
- Development of mechanism schemes in the chemical transport model • Implementation of emission source inputs in the chemical transport model at different scales
- Optimization and validation of the chemical transport model
- Combination of the model outputs with geostatistical data for providing fine resolution pollution concentrations
- Coordination of the project together with the superior
- Regular communication with the SDSC and the Swiss TPH
- PhD degree in atmospheric chemistry or physics focused on numerical modelling
- In depth experience in chemical transport modelling
- Independence and project management
- Expertise in advanced machine learning techniques
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovatFor further information, please contact Imad El Haddad , phone +41 56 310 29 95. Please submit your application online by 21 January 2022 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 5504-03). ive and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Imad El Haddad , phone +41 56 310 29 95.
Please submit your application online by 21 January 2022 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 5504-03).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland