The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The IMPACT upgrade project of the High Intensity Proton Accelerator (HIPA) will keep PSI at the forefront of the intensity frontier for muons and pions research. It will refurbish one of the target regions completely (HIMB) and explore a new territory for innovative cancer treatments with radioactive isotopes (TATTOOS). For this project we are looking for a
- Design the concept and technical implementation of the cooling of beamline components (targets, collimators) for IMPACT with multiphysics simulation programs
- Perform finite volume/element calculations for the design of beamline components like the HIMB-Target and collimators with the programs ANSYS Fluent and Mechanical
- Optimize and improve the cooling of the TATTOOS target for safe beam operation
- Programming input and output files for ANSYS solvers by using Python/Matlab
- Degree in Physics or Engineering
- Experience with thermomechanical and thermohydraulic systems and with finite element methods (FEM) as well as computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
- Basic knowledge of ANSYS Mechanical and/or Fluent solvers
- Team player who communicates efficiently and enjoys working in an international environment. Basic knowledge of German is an advantage
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
The employment contract will (initially) be limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Jochem Snuverink, phone +41 56 310 54 34.
Please submit your application online by 1st February 2022 for the position as a FEM/CFD Engineer/Physicist (index no. 8142-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Melanie Rapisarda-Bellwald, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland