The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The Laboratory for Non-linear Optics LNO provides experimental capabilities in ultrafast laser physics at the Swiss Hard X-ray Free Electron Laser SwissFEL. The scientific publications can be found here. Inside this unit, the Gun Laser Group is internationally recognized for its competences in state-of-the-art laser technology applied to high-brightness electron accelerators, SASE and seeded Free Electron Lasers. For this group, we are looking for a
- Establish future time-resolved laser spectroscopy facility and high-field mid-IR and THz source
- Maintain CPA lasers, expand experimental capabilities, and support R&D activities at SwissFEL
- Establish an independent research program in new laser technologies and secondary sources based on OPCPA drive laser
- Coordinate laboratory activities in multi-disciplinary teams and projects
- PhD degree in experimental physics / engineering
- Proven track record in R&D of high-energy, high-power CPA/OPCPA laser systems and applications in nonlinear optics
- Experience in numerical simulations and high-level programing languages
- Excellent organizational and communication skills in English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Alexandre Trisorio, phone +41 56 310 53 02.
Please submit your application online by 17 July 2022 (including CV, list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Laser Scientist (Tenure Track) (index no. 6611-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Elke Baumann, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland