The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The section Control Systems with its nearly 40 employees provides and maintains core software tools, APIs and building blocks to build reliable and robust control systems for the different large research facilities at PSI. The control system is based on the open platform toolkit EPICS to meet the challenges in data acquisition and device control in modern accelerator facilities. We are looking for a
- Supervising, managing and motivating team members and developing the strategic direction of the section
- Responsible for software product and lifecycle management with focus on further developments of the control system to meet the high demands of accelerator operation and experimental support for our researchers
- Project planning, coordination and reporting of continuously ongoing software extension and upgrade projects relating to accelerator control systems
- Proactive exchange with various cross-divisional stakeholders to define suitable solutions for their needs
- National and international networking through academic and industry collaborations
- Degree in software engineering, computer science, natural sciences or equivalent combined with several years of experience with control systems
- Strong interpersonal and demonstrated leadership skills
- Extensive experience in the software design and/or programming of industrial or scientific systems
- Advanced know-how in data acquisition (DAQ) architectural design
- You enjoy working in a diverse environment and your excellent communication skills make it easy for you to deal with different stakeholders (German is a plus)
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr. Thomas Schilcher, e-mail email@example.com
Please submit your application online by 31 January 2022 for the position as Section Head Control Systems (index no. 8210-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Melanie Rapisarda-Bellwald, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland