The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is expanding its focus areas and establishing a new research division: Scientific Computing, Theory and Data. In recognition of the importance and globally unique ensemble of large facilities at PSI, a keystone to the new division is supporting the operations and experiments with their increasing challenges and opportunities for a unique digital environment. Within the division, the Science IT Infrastructure and Services department (AWI) delivers scientific software, high performance computing and data lifecycle solutions to support research at the large scale research facilities and the wider PSI science program. Our in-house innovations and outreach activities with a world leading national and international network of academic and industry collaborations is ensuring a growing platform to support the escalating opportunities from the digitalization of science.
PSI and the Swiss National Supercomputing Center (CSCS) are embarking on a strategic collaboration for running PSI's High Performance Computing Services as tenant cluster on CSCS' newest flagship infrastructure "Alps".
Would you like to be part of a highly skilled and motivated team working on bringing our HPC services and workflows to the newest Swiss Supercomputer System, in close collaboration with the CSCS experts?
For the High Performance Computing and Emerging technologies Group we are looking for two
You will work in an interdisciplinary, multinational research environment and collaborate with your team members, the CSCS specialist, as well as the users of your infrastructure.Part of your responsibilities will be:
- Create the automated deployments of the required essential HPC virtual clusters and supporting services on top of the "ALPS" infrastructure
- Work in a project team of PSI and CSCS helping to define and develop the interfaces for operating the deployed HPC services
- Integrate the new resources with PSI services and workflows
- Interface with PSI scientists and engineers to migrate and adapt the PSI compute and data intensive workflows to the new infrastructure
- Work as part of the PSI HPCE team delivering HPC services to the PSI scientists
- MSc degree in computer science or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent linux system engineering skills
- Familiarity with HPC environments an additional asset
- Excellent knowledge and experience with contemporay DevOps technologies (including experience with ansible/puppet) and having the matching scripting and programming skills
- Experience with containerization of services and with microservices architectures
- Experience with kubernetes is an additional asset
- Good communication skills
- Good spoken and written English, knowledge of German an asset
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
These positions are limited. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Derek Heinrich Feichtinger, phone +41 56 310 47 33.
Please submit your application online by 20 February 2022 for the position: Two DevOps / Scientific Computing System Engineers (index no. 7905-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland