The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The scientist will use cryo-electron tomography and single particle analysis to study the structure and organisation of membrane protein complexes involved in cellular signalling.
For the Group Mechanisms of signal transduction we are looking for a
- Leading new research projects on cryo-EM structure determination of membrane proteins within the Mechanisms of signal transduction group, including collaborations
- Support of ongoing research projects, including training of PhD students and postdocs
- Implementation and development of advanced data collection and image processing methods, including cryo-ET & sub-tomogram averaging and single particle analysis
- PhD degree in a life science-related discipline
- Strong background on cryo-ET and/or single particle analysis data collection and processing
- Capable of performing the full range of cryo-EM workflows, from sample preparation to data interpretation
- Interested in membrane biology
- Expertise in data science / programming, FIB-SEM, cell biology or biochemistry will be an advantage
- Your are a highly motivated person and able to work in an international team
- It is expected that your are a communicative person, innovative and open-minded for new ideas
- Access to the EM facility at PSI and to ScopeM at ETH Zurich (equipped with a wide range of state of the art equipment, including three Titan Krios microscopes)
- Access to all shared research infrastructure and research platforms at PSI and at ETH Zurich
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Prof Dr. Volodymyr Korkhov, phone +41 56 310 28 42.
Please submit your application online by 15 December 2021 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Scientist (Tenure Track) (index no. 2318-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sevil Minniti,5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland