The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
Embedded in our beam dynamics group, you help operate and develop beam diagnostic devices that provide insights for the operation, protection, and development of cyclotrons, beam line components, and targets. To strengthen our team, we are looking for a
- Contribute to the high availability of the installed proton beam diagnostics
- Specification, development, procurement, lab tests, commissioning, and characterization of Radio Frequency (RF) based beam monitors or their improvement (e.g. current, phase, beam position monitors and bunch shape) in collaboration with the team and other technical groups, e.g. engineering, RF, vacuum, electronics, controls, beam dynamics
- Specification of the requirements to read-out electronics and controls functionality
- Documentation of your work as a basis for maintenance and further development
- University degree in physics or engineering with significant experience in beam diagnostics of hadron beams
- Profound knowledge of beam measurement techniques and substantial experience with the physical and technical design of beam monitors
- Experience with RF simulation tools (e.g. ANSYS HFSS, Comsol Multiphysics or CST) and RF measurement techniques
- Working knowledge of programming languages (Python, MATLAB, LabVIEW) for control and testing are an advantage
- Personality who enjoys coordinating and supporting projects with interdisciplinary teams to share knowledge and support members in reaching shared goals
- Knowledge of German is of advantage
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Pierre-André Duperrex, phone +41 56 310 47 75.
Please submit your application online by for the position as a Beam Diagnostics Expert / Physicist (index no. 8131-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Melanie Rapisarda-Bellwald, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland