The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is expanding its focus areas and establishing a new research division: Scientific Computing, Theory and Data. In recognition of the importance and globally unique ensemble of large facilities at PSI, a keystone to the new division is supporting the operations and experiments with their increasing challenges and opportunities for a unique digital environment. Within the division, the Science IT Infrastructure and Services department (AWI) delivers scientific software, high performance computing and data lifecycle solutions to support research at the large scale research facilities and the wider PSI science program. Our in-house innovations and outreach activities with a world leading national and international network of academic and industry collaborations is ensuring a growing platform to support the escalating opportunities from the digitalization of science.
Our Linux infrastructure is enabling scientists to perform groundbreaking scientific experiments. Do you want to be a part of a highly skilled and motivated team, enhance and re-shape the current Linux infrastructure? Then join us!
For the Core Linux Research Services Group we are looking for a
Group Leader: Core Linux Research Services
Science IT Infrastructure and Services / Core Linux Research Services
You will work in an interdisciplinary, multinational research environment and collaborate with your team members as well as the users of your infrastructure. Part of your responsibilities will be:
- Coordinate the newly established Core Linux Research Services team at PSI (2-4 people)
- Support Linux on critical IT experimental infrastructure composed of thousands of clients
- Facilitate a high-performance team environment and employee engagement
- Define of the Linux infrastructure architecture and participate in the definition of a PSI Linux strategy
- Gather requirements from colleagues and stakeholders, ensuring a cross-departmental collaboration
- Development and operation of the central Linux installation, software distribution and monitoring infrastructure
- Definition, packaging, test and support of the fundamental software stack required to operate PSI large scale research facilities
- Deployment and support of the Remote Access solution for Linux systems required by our scientists to perform experiments
- Perform 2nd level support for the Linux infrastructure
- MSc degree in computer science or equivalent practical experience
- At least two years experience in managing small-medium teams of experts
- In-depth knowledge of Unix/Linux administration and architecture
- Experience in system engineering as well as building up and maintaining rock solid and high performance IT infrastructure
- Multiple years of experience in the automated management of heterogeneous systems via e.g. Puppet, Chef, Ansible
- Strong scripting skills in Bash and Python
- Experience in handling VMs with VMware/Vcenter
- Good written and spoken English
- Experience in network programming and in managing enterprise class Intel servers
- In-depth experience with containers/Docker and with monitoring and profiling
- Experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux or derivatives
- Experience with Red Hat Satellite, Ansible Tower or equivalent
- Good written and spoken German or willingness to learn it
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Mikela Szolansky of prime21, phone +41 44 245 44 58 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to receiving your online application for the position as a Group Leader: Core Linux Research Services with the index no. 7906-01. Please send your complete application documents to: Prime21 AG
Löwenstrasse 1 8001
Zürich, Schweiz email@example.comApplying via the link below "Apply online now" will not work for this position.