The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Molecular Cluster and Particle Processes Group we are looking for a
The PhD project will be focused on the understanding of the role of water for formation of biogenic secondary organic aerosols in pristine and polluted environments. The main tasks are:
- Perform laboratory experiments using our excellent smog chamber facilities
- Online molecular analysis of the aerosol compounds formed during the reactions using our (ultra) high resolution mass spectrometers
- Development of mechanism schemes and kinetic modelling
- Support the transnational access to our chambers
- Higher education in chemistry, physics, environmental sciences or related fields
- Ability to communicate the outcome of the research
- Capabililty of ritical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas
- Good programing skills and good knowledge of chemical analysis techniques, e.g. mass spectrometry
- Good interpersonal skills as well as fluent communication skills in English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information, please contact Dr Imad El Haddad, phone +41 56 310 29 95.
Please submit your application online by 10 August 2021 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 5504-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland