The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The Structural Integrity Group investigates the influence of material ageing phenomena on the lifetime and structural integrity of (nuclear) power plant components. In order to strengthening our corrosion activities we are looking for a
- Evaluation of mitigation of SCC initiation in Alloy 182 in high-temperature water by surface peening
- Characterization of SCC crack growth in Alloy 182 & 82 in high and low K range
- Characterisation of residual stress profiles (ND, XRD, etc.) and weld metals
- Metallo- and fractographic evaluations (surface layers / films, deformation and fracture mechanism) by LOM, SEM/EBSD, TEM, FIB, etc.
- Supervision of master or semester thesis's and internships
- Publication of results in scientific journals and at international conferences
- Support of other service tasks / projects
You hold a PhD degree in Materials Science or Metallurgy (or closely related) and have a solid background in corrosion / electrochemistry and metallurgy. Additionally, you have in-depth practical experience in material characterization by electron microscopy (TEM, SEM). Very good communication skills in English are also required. A German working knowledge would be an asset.
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 3 years.
For further information, please contact Stefan Ritter, phone +41 56 310 29 83, email email@example.com.
Please submit your application online by 15 July 2021 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 4603-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Nicole Schubert, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland