The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Applied Materials Group in the Laboratory for Neutron Scattering and Imaging we are looking for a
- Acquisition and implementation of acoustic emission (AE) on a minaturized selective laser melting (SLM) machine
- Design new components and modify the existing minaturized SLM machine
- Alternative use of AE for deformation tests
- Perform feasibility tests using in situ synchrotron X-Ray diffraction/X-Ray imaging and AE during SLM processes
- Publish results in scientific journals and present findings at scientific meetings
- PhD degree in Mechanical, Electrical engineering or related fields
- Proven experience in building/developing devices, test rigs or laboratory equipment
- Experience with CAD packages and LabVIEW
- High motivation and ability to work independently in a collaborative and interdisciplinary research team
- Good communication skills in English (oral/written)
- Experience with Acoustic Emision monitoring will be an asset
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Efthymios Polatidis, phone +41 56 310 39 48.
The position will remain open until it is filled. Please submit your application online (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 3304-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Silja Giacomini-Diebold, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland