The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Research with Neutrons and Muons Division we are looking for a
- Explore quantum and topological effects in bulk, thin films and devices of quantum materials via microscopy, magnetic, electrical and X-Ray measurements
- Growth of epitaxial thin films and microfabrication of devices
- Electrical/thermal transport measurements using cryostats including a dilution fridge
- X-Ray scattering, ARPES, XMCD-PEEM and RIXS at large scale facilities
- PhD degree in experimental condensed matter physics with firm knowledge of quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics and magnetism
- Expertise in electrical measurements at low temperature and high magnetic fields including independent operation of a dilution fridge
- Expertise in film growth, microfabrication, scanning probe microscopy and X-Ray scattering
- Experience in angle resolved photoemission, PEEM and RIXS
- Ability to keep good records of work, analyze, interpret data and publish high quality work
- Ability to write software for data acquisition and analysis
- Ability to collaborate with other scientists
- Ability to work long hours and during weekends when conducting experiments at large scale facilities
- Good communication skills including writing skills in English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Dr Yona Soh, phone +41 56 310 32 81.
Please submit your application online by 28 August 2020 (including list of publications, a 2 page statement of research interests and addresses of 3 referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 3000-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland