The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the upgrade of PSI's Swiss Light Source SLS, one of the most advanced X-Ray sources worldwide, we plan to develop and implement beam position monitors based on silicon carbide SiC membranes. For this endeavour and related projects, we are looking for a
- Development of SiC-based beam position monitors for synchrotron radiation, including the fabrication in the clean room laboratories of PSI and the testing and implementation of the devices at the SLS
- Initiation and execution of research projects in the field of radiation sensors and detectors based on SiC
- Supervision of PhD Students and Postdoctoral Fellows working on the above mentioned projects
- Publication of results in scientific journals and conferences
- The successful candidate has a PhD degree in physics or engineering with a strong background in semiconductor physics
- You have experience in wafer scale processing in a clean room environment
- You enjoy working in an international team and have good command of the English language
- Experience with instrumentation for synchrotrons radiation and with radiation sensors would be of advantage
You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to three years.
For further information, please contact Dr Christian David, phone +41 56 310 37 53.
Please submit your application online by 31 July 2020 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Scienist (index no. 6212-03).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Elke Baumann, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland