The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Nuclear Fuels group in the Laboratory for Nuclear Materials we are looking for a
- Investigate the influence of the fuel pellet onto the cladding for formation, distribution and change in morphology of hydrides in the cladding
- Prepare fuel/cladding specimens using conventional FIB cut process
- Evaluate the residual stress level in the samples applying diffraction-based methods
- Apply experimental methods of interest, in cooperation with PSI hotlab – metallography, EPMA, FIB, synchrotron XRD and/or XAS, and/or neutron radiography
- Publish your results in renowned scientific journals and report at international conferences
- PhD degree in Materials Science, Physics or Chemistry
- Prior experience with synchrotron based techniques (XRD, XAS) and knowledge on data analysis methods (stress/strain determination) is necessary/required
- Experience with handling radioactive materials is a big plus
- Good knowledge of English, knowledge of German is an advantage
- First experience in project management
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to two years, possibly extendable to three years.
For further information, please contact Dr Johannes Bertsch, phone +41 56 310 41 73 or Dr Goutam Kuri, phone +41 56 310 21 82.
Please submit your application online by 31 July 2020 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 4602-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Nicole Schubert, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland