The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
The Division of Biology and Chemistry at PSI is seeking a highly motivated laboratory technician to produce recombinantly proteins from Sars-Cov-2 and other Corona viruses to enable drug discovery projects in a multidisciplinary team. In this role, you carry out experiments and implement strategies to contribute to an exciting innovative research project. You are expected to work in a timely manner in coordination with national and international research partners. For the Divison of Biology and Chemistry we are looking for a
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team with internal and external partners to develop new methods and protocols for the production of viral proteins from SARS-CoV-2 and other Corona viruses
- Cloning of SARS-CoV-2 and other Corona viruses genes for recombinant expression of proteins in mammalian cells
- Preparation of purified protein samples for biophysical and structural studies at PSI, as well for other research institutions and hospitals
- Purification of membrane proteins using chromatography methods (affinity, ion exchange and size exclusion chromatography)
- Monitoring of protein quality and purity using fluorescence-size exclusion chromatography and SDS-PAGE
- Prepare and present experimental results to all stakeholders of the project
- Support other SARS-CoV-2 at the institute
- Specifics/special working conditions
- Occasional work in a BS3-Level laboratory at collaborative research institutions
- Applicants should preferably have at minimum an apprenticeship education or equivalent (B.Sc.) or a M.S. degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, biotechnology or a related discipline
- Proven prior hands-on experience with protein expression, purification as well as standard protein analytical techniques is expected. Previous experience with membrane protein biochemistry is a strong plus
- Excellent personal task management, communication and networking skills as well as a high level of self-motivation
- Fluency in English is essential
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a fixed-term position. The employment contract will (initially) be limited to 2 years.
For further information, please contact Prof Dr Gebhard Schertler, phone +41 56 310 42 65.
Please submit your application online by (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Laboratory Technician supporting a research program against Corona virus infection (index no. 2000-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland