The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the UCN Physics Group we are looking for a
A new project to search for a neutron electric dipole moment - n2EDM - has started at PSI, searching for a signal of beyond-Standard-Model physics with unprecedented sensitivity. The new experimental apparatus is being set up at the ultracold neutron (UCN) source. You will work on all aspects of the experiment, be a key person in the setup of the apparatus and take over responsibility in the commissioning of all components. You will be crucial for the first data taking of the n2EDM experiment and prepare the first n2EDM analysis. You will contribute to UCN source related optimization efforts and share responsibility in supervising PhD students.
We seek a talented and ambitious person who is highly motivated to work on this competitive project in a well-established research team and within an international collaboration.
- You hold a PhD degree in physics
- Experience in experimental fundamental physics and/or neutron physics and/or experimental nuclear and particle physics are considered as an asset
- Good level of English as working language in spoken and written is mandatory
- Flexible and multitasking work attitude
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated practical experience in experimental work and hardware setup
- Basic programming skills are required, and experience in data analysis and control software are considered as plus
- Ability for excellent written documentation
- Knowledge of German or willingness to quickly learn German is a plus
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to two years.
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr Klaus Kirch, phone +41 56 310 34 52.
Please submit your application online by 4 May 2020 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 3204-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Silja Giacomini-Diebold, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland