The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
You are leading a highly competitive group at the interface between neurobiology, biophysics and structural biology. Using a multicellular biological system with relevance for neuronal diseases you establish cutting edge correlative imaging methods in cooperation with other research groups at the institute. In addition, you will take on the deputy leadership role for the "Laboratory for Nanoscale Biology" at the divison of Biology and Chemistry.
For the Laboratory for Nanoscale Biology we are looking for a
- Leading the Nanoscale Biology Group including responsibility for budget and personnel
- Develop a multicellular, neuronal system for imaging across different length scales using an integrative structural biology approach
- Contribute to the establishment of imaging technologies from single molecule structural analysis, to correlative light and electron microscopy (CLEM), to X-Ray-based 3D imaging methods
- Establish an appropriate multicellular model, either in-house or through collaborations
- Acquisition of third-party funding, high impact publication output, presentation of scientific results at national and international conferences, establishment and maintenance of a strong collaborative network
- As a deputy leader of the Laboratory Nanoscale Biology (LNB) you are expected to take the co-responsibility for the lab finances, personnel management, communication, etc
- PhD degree in Biology, Life Sciences or Biophysics plus previous experience as team leader in an academic environment
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Proven strong record in integrative structural biology, in particular X-Ray and/or electron-based methods or other biophysical techniques
- Expertise in molecular and cell biology, and imaging technologies of living cells and/or organisms
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Approachable personality with good judgement for personnel management
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to three years.
For further information, please contact Prof Dr Gebhard Schertler, phone +41 56 310 42 65.
Please submit your application online by 17 April 2020 for the position as a Group Leader (index no. 2413-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland