The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
PSI takes the responsibility to promote talented young scientists and engineers after a career break by providing fellowships for returning to science. It is open for all genders.
You have been on a career break due to family commitments or mobility of your partner for at least 9 months. You hold a PhD degree in natural science up to five years after graduation or a master in engineering up to ten years after graduation and have gained relevant experience. Due to the on-site integration, you must live in Switzerland when you take up your position. Additionally you are proficient in English and willing to learn German.
This program offers the possibility to work full- or part-time. The duration of the fellowship is limited to two years at the most, with a minimum work rate of 50%.
- Contact a research group at PSI related to your research interest
- Establish a research and career plan (max. 4 pages) together with this research group
- Letter of Recommendation written by your contact person at PSI, which expresses the Fellow's support and research project
- Apply until 30 April 2020 using our online portal with the following documents:
- Motivation letter explaining the reasons for returning to work
- Research and career plan
- Letter of Recommendation from contact person at PSI
- Updated CV incl. list of publications
- Reference letters
- Copy of diplomas
The selection process is conducted in two steps:
- First the selection committee will choose suitable applicants until the end of May 2020.
- In a second step the selected applicants will be invited to present their research and career plan to the evaluation committee members at PSI by the end of June 2020.
The first possible start of the fellowship will be August 2020.
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Melanie Rapisarda-Bellwald, phone +41 56 310 26 92.
Please submit your application online by 30 April 2020 for the PSI Career Return Program.
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Melanie Rapisarda-Bellwald, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland