The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Electrochemistry Laboratory we are looking for a
- Fundamental research on the kinetics of radical attack and follow-up reactions on model compounds of fuel cell membranes and antioxidants using the pulse radiolysis method at ETH Zürich (Laboratory of Inorganic Chemistry)
- Development and implementation of strategies to prevent oxidative degradation of aromatic hydrocarbon compounds (in collaboration with a PhD student)
- Publishing of research results in scientific literature and presentation at international conferences
- PhD degree in chemistry with strong exposure to organic chemistry
- Able to work in self-motivated manner with high level of independence
- Creative with a flair for solving practical problems in the laboratory
- Well-developed communication skills & good command of the english language (spoken & written)
- Interest in fuel cell / electrochemical technology and renewable energy scenarios
- Understanding of radical chemistry would be helpful
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years.
For further information please contact PD Dr. Lorenz Gubler, phone +41 56 310 26 73.
Please submit your application online by 31 December 2019 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 5421-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland