The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Membranes and Electrochemical Cells Group in the Laboratory for Electrochemistry we are looking for a
- Develop and engineer polymer materials for redox flow battery membrane electrolytes
- Devise novel membrane architectures for high performance and selectivity
- Chemically modify commercially available materials to tune functionalities
- Understand performance characteristics and limitations in vanadium redox flow cells
- Develop structure-property correlations
- Collaboration with other redox flow battery team members
- Publishing in international leading scientific journals
- Supporting teaching at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich
- University degree in chemistry, chemical engineering or materials science
- Background in (organic) synthesis is desirable
- Creative, hands-on and teamwork oriented personality
- Good at problem solving
- Well-developed communication skills & good command of the English language (spoken & written)
- Knowledge of electrochemistry is helpful
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Dr Lorenz Gubler, phone +41 56 310 26 73.
Please submit your application online by 31 December 2019 (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 5421-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Mariusz Prus, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland