The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
At PSI the world’s most intensive sources of low-energy muons, pions and ultracold neutrons are used to carry out experiments at the forefront of low-energy high-precision particle physics. This includes for example MEG II, Mu3e, n2EDM, CREMA, muX, and MUSE.
The activities of the theory group of the Laboratory for Particle Physics (LTP) at PSI are closely aligned with the experimental groups. Apart from research at the high-energy frontier to support the CMS group of LTP, emphasis is put on research of muon and neutron particle physics.
For the Theory Group in the Laboratory for Particle Physics we are looking for a
- Perform research in theoretical particle physics, with core activities related to physics investigated by MEG II, Mu3e, n2EDM and other particle physics experiments carried out at PSI
- Close cooperation with experimental groups at LTP and participating universities
- Potentially become a member of Mu3e and/or n2EDM
- Contribute to the group’s third party funding applications
- Contribute to the supervision of PhD and master students
- Contribute to the development of LTP’s future projects beyond current activities
- Support of the laboratory’s teaching activities
- PhD and postdoctoral experience in theoretical particle physics
- Experience in higher-order calculations and other theoretical methods related to low-energy precision experiments
- Approachable personality, open to collaborate with and take responsibility in day-to-day running of the LTP theory group
- Organizational skills and ability to work in large and in small collaborations
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information please contact Michael Spira, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Adrian Signer, e-mail: email@example.com
Please submit your application online by 22 November 2019 (including a list of publications, addresses of referees and a statement about joining and contributing to in-house experiments at PSI) for the position as a scientist (index no. 3201-01).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland